Thursday, August 27, 2009

Prints Charming at Liberty

Liberty Window

Zoe Murphy cabinet - inside drawer

Svenkst Tenn Stockholm sofa

If you’re around Oxford Street, London, this weekend, I highly recommend taking a look around Liberty.  I spent a couple of hours wandering around today and came away feeling really inspired.  There’s an exhibition on the top floor which is only on until next Wednesday, 2nd September.  Entitled “Prints Charming”, it is a celebration of the world’s most iconic Liberty Prints and a number of designers have been involved.

The windows, to accompany the exhibition, have been styled by Faye Toogood and worth a look.  The main disappointment  is the way a whole window has been dedicated to Meg Matthews’ designs which, I personally, don’t feel deserve the exposure they have been given.  Surely there are many more credible and talented designers out there Liberty’s could showcase?  It was great to see Squint’s work in the window, however.

When looking around the exhibition Zoe Murphy’s furniture also caught my eye.  She uses old furniture and updates pieces to make them new.  What I really loved was the attention to detail – she had upholstered the inside of the drawers by covering padded panels with pretty Liberty prints.

There was also a large area dedicated to Svenkst Tenn Stockholm’s wonderful range of textiles.  In particular I love Josef Frank’s designs which are all inspired by botany and nature.  I would love to get my hands on a large amount of the fabrics he has designed to reupholster an interesting piece of furniture (better start saving!).

All in all I came away feeling inspired with new ideas so if you can spare the time or have a bit of time to kill, take a look around and whatever you like I’m sure you’ll find something you love in Liberty’s.

[Via http://nicolarius.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment