Tuesday, March 9, 2010

America . . . Do You Care?

Schoolhouse Rocks

I’d wager that most of my readers are old advanced enough to remember Schoolhouse Rocks. One of my all time favorites, and perhaps one of the catchiest of all was part of the America Rocks series, which included the telling of how a Bill becomes Law. Keep reading . . . I have that gem posted somewhere, but you’ll have to read through this post to find out where!

Our friend Bill is found leaning against the door of the House of Representatives. He seems glum and listless. Let’s see what transpires:

Li’l Sam: Hey Bill, what’s goin’ on?

Bill: *sighs deeply* I’m feelin’ blue, Sammy. A little down. Maybe I’m bi-polar, you know, like Congress.

Li’l Sam: *scratches his head* Umm, what?

Bill: That’s a joke, son! I’m throwin’, but you ain’t catchin’!

Li’l Sam: Sorry, I just don’t . . .

Bill: Aww, hell. Forget about it. Doesn’t really matter anyway.

Li’l Sam: What’re you bummed out about?

Bill: *rubs his nose and sniffles* I just finished reading an article in The History Channel magazine. Enough to drive a man to drink I tell ya! But I can’t, really, being paper and all.

Li’l Sam: *stares blankly*

Bill: Absorption, boy! Don’t you pay attention at school?

Li’l Sam: Well, I . . .

Bill: Don’t feel bad, Sammy. Believe me, you’re not alone.

Li’l Sam: Whaddya mean?

Bill: It’s enough to break my heart, kid.

Li’l Sam: Must have been some article, Bill.

Bill: You ain’t just whistlin’ Dixie.

Li’l Sam: *raises a finger and begins to speak*

Bill: I know. You don’t get it. *sighs again*

Li’l Sam: Not really.

Bill: This article was titled Who Cares About The American Revolution?

Li’l Sam: We learned a little bit about it in school!

Bill: “Little” being the key word, I’m sure.

Li’l Sam: I don’t remember much, though.

Bill: Color me shocked.

See, this group took a national survey back in 2009 to see what Americans knew about the Revolution. You know, what got us here.

Li’l Sam: We fought Britain over lack of representation in Parliament, right?

Bill: Not bad kid. In a roundabout way, you’ve got a grasp on the underlying fuse that was lit. But get this. . .

The survey revealed that Americans “highly value, but vastly overrate, their knowledge of the Revolutionary period.”

They found that 89% of adults—that leave you out, son—felt they could pass a basic test on the American Revolution.

Li’l Sam: Wow! A lot of people must know a lot about it, then.

Bill: Whoa! Slow down, Speed Racer!

83% failed the test. Eighty-three percent!

Li’l Sam: *drops his mouth open*

Bill: Tell me about it. I’m right there with ya, Sammy.

Li’l Sam: That’s bad!

Bill: You’re gettin’ ahead of yourself, kid. Listen to this:

Half of all adults surveyed believed the Civil War, The Emancipation Proclamation, or the War of 1812 occured before the Revolution. See what reality TV will do to ya, Sammy?

Before the Revolution! Are you f****ng kidding me!

Li’l Sam: But the Revolution began in 1776.

Bill: *slumps harder against the door* No, it began in 1775, actually. We declared independence in 1776. Where did your teacher say the first shot of the Revolution was fired?

Li’l Sam: Umm, in Lexington, I think.

Bill: Good boy!

Li’l Sam: Followed by a battle in Concord, Massachussets, right?

Bill: Careful son, you’re stepping on my despair.

Li’l Sam: *stares again*

Bill: *waves him off*

Bill: Here’s another punch in the face:

More Americans polled knew that pop singer Michael Jackson sang Beat It than the fact that the Bill of Rights is part of the United States Constitution.

Li’l Sam: *smiles brightly* I like Michael Jackson! He did Billie Jean, and Thriller, and Remember The Time . . .

Bill: Are you finished?

Li’l Sam: *nods quietly*

Bill: Good. Don’t let it happen again. Now where was I . . .

Oh yeah—One third . . . You paying attention, Sammy?

Li’l Sam: Uh huh!

Bill: One third of the adults who took the survey did not know the right to a jury trial is covered in the Bill of Rights. Thank God for Perry Mason and Judge Judy, huh? At least they know it exists.

Li’l Sam: Who’s Perry Mason?

Bill: A TV lawyer.

Li’l Sam: Like on Law and Order?

Bill: *another sigh* Yeah, kind of. I’m almost done, son. I know you’re quickly approaching your attention span limit. So here’s yet another mind numbing result:

Sixty percent of Americans could correctly identify the number of children in reality-TV show couple Jon and Kate Gosselin’s household (eight), but more than one-third did not know the century in which the American Revolution took place.

Li’l Sam: They don’t like each other now.

Bill: Who?

Li’l Sam: John and Kate.

Bill: You’re killin’ me, kid.

Li’l Sam: Sorry.

Bill: Last one, then you can go play in the street . . .

From a list of major battles, two-thirds of Americans could not correctly name Yorktown as the last major military action of the American Revolution.

What does this say about us? What hope do I, or you for that matter, have if we don’t understand what led us here?

Li’l Sam: I dunno.

Bill: You’re consistent, I’ll give you that.

Li’l Sam: Thanks!

Bill: You’re welcome. Thanks for cheering me up, kid. *does a face palm*

Li’l Sam: See ya, Bill!

Bill: Maybe not!

If you’re even remotely interested you can see the test results, or even take the test yourself at the site for the American Revolution Center.

And if you read through the whole post, then you’re entitled to the following:

  • A small site I created a few years ago which speaks to our Constitution and the underlying principles we Americans cling to yet know precious little about: That Which Defines Us
  • The actual Schoolhouse Rocks episode I’m Just A Bill. Go ahead. Be nostalgic. This is good nostalgia :^)
  • If you go here (the last page of my Constitution project) you can find a short video with Morgan Freeman and an all-star cast reading aloud the Declaration of Independence. Have your speakers turned up and maybe a tissue handy.
  • [Via http://avomnia.wordpress.com]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment